Monday, September 9, 2013

History of Mary as narrated by God


In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
More than two thousand years ago, there was a righteous woman who prayed to God:
“My Lord, indeed I have pledged to You what is in my womb, dedicated for Your services, so accept this from me. Indeed, You are All Hearing, All Knowing."
She thought she will have a son, and she planned on devoting him to priesthood. But, God blessed her with a girl instead of a boy. Knowing that she couldn't make the daughter a priest, she prayed to God:
“O my Lord! “I have given birth to a female”, And God knew best of what she delivered, and (she said) “I have named her Mary. And verily, I seek Your protection for her and her offspring against the cursed Satan.”
The above verses were not taken from the Bible, but from the Quran (Chapter 3: Verses 35 and 36). This may surprise many of the Christian readers.
My dear Christian brethren, although we share belief in both Jesus Christ and Virgin Mary, some Christians may consider Islamic faith as something opposite to Christian beliefs. There are lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings about Islam amongst the Christian brothers and sisters. The objective of this pamphlet is to educate you about what the Quran teaches about Jesus Christ and his mother, Virgin Mary.
Irrespective of our skin colour and the language we speak, we all belong to one human family created by One God. God Almighty, our Creator sent His Messengers and Prophets to the world to guide us to the right path. God in the Quran commands us to believe in all the Prophets and Messengers of God, without making any differentiation between any of them. God in the Quran says "All of the believers have believed in God and His angels and His books and His messengers,
[saying], "We make no distinction between any of His messengers." (Chapter 2: Verse 285).
Both Jesus Christ and his mother, Virgin Mary are very highly revered in Islam and by Muslims all over the world. In fact, the Quran has got a Chapter named after Virgin Mary (Chapter 19). It is very interesting to note that the Quran which honours and elevates the status of Virgin Mary does not even mention the name of the mother of Prophet Muhammad or names of any of his family members.
Quran on Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ
"And (remember) she (Mary) guarded her chastity. We breathed into her of Our spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples" - Chapter 21: Verse 91.
Mary – Chosen by God above all women in the world
God in the Quran says "O Mary, indeed God has chosen you and purified you and chosen you above all the women of the worlds."  - Chapter 3: Verse 42.
Mary – an example for all believing men and women
God in the Quran says “And [God presents to the believing men and women the example of] Mary, the daughter of ‘Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient.” - Chapter 66: Verse 12.
Quran on Mary’s upbringing as a child
“He (God) made her (Mary) grow in a good manner and put her under the care of Zechariah. Every time he entered the praying place to visit her, he found her supplied with food. He said: 'O Mary! From where have you got this?' She said: This is from God. Verily, God provides sustenance to who He wills, without limit.”
So Mary was blessed by God, and was brought up in a special manner after she was put under the care of Zechariah. Through her devotion and righteousness, Mary became the chosen woman from among all the people in the world, so much so that God blessed her with food directly from Himself, as depicted in the Quran in Chapter 3, Verse 37.
Mary’s miraculous conception of Jesus Christ
“Relate in the Scripture (the story of) Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place in the East. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them. Then We sent her our angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects. She said, 'I seek refuge from you to God Most Gracious! Do not come near me, if you fear God!' He said, 'No, I am only a messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a holy son.' She said, 'How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?' He said, 'So (it will be). Your Lord says, 'That is easy for Me, and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign for people, and a Mercy from Us. It is a matter (so) decreed " - Quran in the Chapter of Mary, Chapter 19: Verses 16-21).
Quran on Virgin Mary’s pregnancy
" So she started to carry him (baby Jesus in her womb), and she went (to rest) to a far place. And the pains of childbirth took her to the trunk of a date palm-tree: She cried (in her pain): "Oh! If I had died before this! If I was a thing forgotten and not (even) seen!" Then (a voice) cried to her from under (the tree): "Do not feel sad! Because your Lord has made (for you) a stream underneath you;"And shake towards yourself the trunk of the date palm-tree: It will drop fresh ripe dates (fruits) upon you. "So eat and drink and cool (wet your) eye. And if you see any man, say, 'I vowed a fast to the Most Beneficent (God) so I shall not speak to any human being this day” - Chapter 19: Verses 22 to 26.
The above verses from the Quran narrates the emotional story of Mary’s pregnancy, who went out of town and prayed to God in the pain of labour and how God, Whom she worshipped and devoted her life to, did not forsake her.
Mary and incidents after the birth of Jesus Christ
"Then she brought him (the baby Jesus) to her people, carrying him. They said: 'O Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing which is greatly evil! O sister of Aaron! Your father was not a bad man (adulterous), and your mother was not an unchaste woman.' Then she pointed to him (to the baby). They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child, in the cradle?" - Quran Chapter 19: Verses 27 to 29.
Mary, a virgin gives birth to the child (Jesus Christ), and takes him back to her village. As expected, the Jews saw her as someone who has done a heinous crime. But Mary obeys the commands of her Lord by remaining silent and pointing to the baby (Jesus). God proved her chastity by making Infant Jesus speak miraculously.
Infant Jesus miraculously defends Mother Mary
“He [the baby Jesus] said:"Indeed I am a servant of God: He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet; And He (God) has made me blessed where ever I be, and has commanded for me prayer and charity as long as I live; [He (God)] has made me kind to my mother, and not arrogant or miserable; "And Peace is on me the day I was born, the day I die, and the day I will be raised (again) to life!" Jesus, the son of Mary was like this: (It is) a statement of truth, about which they dispute and differ. - Quran Chapter 19: Verses 30 to 34.
Jesus Christ speaking as an infant in the cradle to defend the honour of his mother was the first miracle performed by him. God made Infant Jesus speak to the Jews miraculously to make them understand that Jesus was indeed a Prophet and Messiah sent by God.
Quran on Jesus’ Miracles and Preaching
“And God will teach him the Scripture and Wisdom, the Tawrath (the Torah) and Injeel (the Gospel), "And (appoint him) a messenger to the Children of Israel, (Jesus will say) Indeed I have come to you with a sign from your Lord in that I design for you from clay [that which is] like the form of a bird, then I breathe into it and it becomes a bird by permission of God. And I cure the blind and the leper, and I give life to the dead – by permission of God. And I inform you of what you eat and what you store in your houses. Indeed in that is a sign for you, if you are believers."And (I have come to you), confirming Torah which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (before) forbidden to you; And I have come to you with proof from your Lord, so fear God, and obey me. It is God, Who is my Lord and your Lord; So worship Him Alone. This is the Straight Path." - Chapter 3: Verses 48 to 51.
Conclusion
We hope that this pamphlet would help you in knowing the views of the Quran on Virgin Mary and Jesus Christ. We sincerely pray to God that this knowledge fosters brotherhood between us and also paves way for us to have a better mutual understanding and helps us in following the commandments of God to attain Salvation. Thank you for taking time to read this pamphlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment